THE SWAN AND THE PRINCES - Virtuesite A Blogging Website

Breaking

Tuesday 30 September 2014

THE SWAN AND THE PRINCES

The Swan and the Prince
CHARACTERS
SUDDIDHANA :  the king of    kapilvastu
SIDHARTHA : the prince of kapilvastu
DEV DATT : Sidhartha’s cousin
The CHIEF MINISTER and four other MINISTERS of  the king. The DOOR-KEEPER.
(king suddodhan is sitting on his throne. His Ministers are sitting around him. The chief minister is saying something to him. Just then the door-keeper enters and bows to the king.)
Door-keeper : Long live the king ! sir , Prince Dev Datt wants to come in.
King : bring him in.
(The Door-keeper bows and goes out.)
Chief minister : I wonder why Prince Dev Datt wants to see the king at this time.
Second minister : Perhaps he wants to complain against someone.
(The door-keeper enters with Dev Datt. Both of them bow to the eking.)
King : What is it, Dev Datt ? why have you come to me at this time ?
Dev Datt : Sir the Prince will not give me my swan. I want justice from you.
King : (smiling) Be calm, Dev Datt. Has Sidhartha taken your swan from you?
Dev Datt : Yes, sir , he has. I shot it and it fell on the ground near the perince. He picked it up and said he wouldn’t  give it to me.
King :  That is very naughty of Shidhartha. ( TO the door-keeper) Go and call him. ( The door-keeper bows and goes out. )
Third Minister : ( softly to the Fourth Minister ) The Prince is a good lad, he can’t do a thing that’s wrong.
Fourth Minister : I agree with you. (The door-keeper enters with Prince Sidhartha, who has a white swan in his arms. Sidhartha bows to the king.
King: Shidhartha, Dev Datt says that you have taken his swan. Is that the swan which you took from him?
Sidhartha: Your Highness, Dev Datt  has complained about this swan, but it isn’t his swan. It is mine.
Dev Datt: No, Your highness, it is not his. It is mine. I shot it with an arrow. Shidhartha is telling a lie.
King: Be calm, Dev Datt, You say that the swan is yours because you shot it. Is that right?
Dev Datt: Yes, Sir , that’s quite right.
 King: What do you say, Sidhartha? Why do you  say that the swan is yours?
Sidhartha: Your Highness, Dev Datt  shot this swan but I saved its life. That’s why it is mine.
Ministers : Hear! Hear!
King:   Listen, Sidhartha, A Kashatriya can’t give up what he has shot. Do you agree with me?
   Sidhartha:    Yes, I do, sir, but a Kshatriya  can’t give up a suppliant either. This swan came to me for protection. I can’t give it up.      
Dev Datt:  Your Highness, this is injustice. I shot the swan, so it is mine.   
King: Well, boys, I’m puzzled. It is a strange case. I don’t know how to decide it. (to the chief Minister)  Can you help me?
 Chief Minister: I’will try, Your Highness.
King:  Very well, then, Please  go ahead.
Chief Minister: Prince Sidhartha and Prince Dev Datt, Please listen to me. Prince Dev Datt says that the swan is his because he shot it, and prince Sidhartha says that it is his because he saved its life. Am I right?
   Sidhartha and Dev Datt: Yes, you are right.
Chief Minister: Good , Now, Prince Sidhartha, please put the swan on this stool.
( Sidhartha puts the swan on the stool and goes back to his place. The swan is frightened and keeps looking  at Sidhartha.)
Chief Minister: Prince Dev Datt , please come forward and ask to swan to come to you.
Dev Datt:  (coming forward ) come to me, O swan, come ! come! Come! (The swan trembles and cries with fear)
Chief Minister: That will do , prince Dev Datt. Now it is your turn to call the swan, Price Sidhartha.
( Dev Datt  goes back and Sidhartha comes  forward.)  
Sidhartha: ( going near the swan ) Dear swan, Don’t be afraid. I have come to you. Come and sit in my arms.
( The swan at once flies to Sidhartha’s arms. )
Chief Minister: ( TO  the king) Your Highness, the swan has decided the case.
King: It has, indeed, and we accept the decision. The swan belongs to price Sidhartha.
ALL: Long live Prince Sidhartha!


       
  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Post Top Ad $10/Month

Your Ad Spot

Search Box

Recent Posts

About Me

Send Quick Message

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers

Translate Language

Pages

About Me

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis.
Read More